MANUFACTURERS
LINKS
UK RIDES on

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Oakwood reveal massive new investment for 2013
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 pm 
Quote:
OAKWOOD ANNOUNCES MASSIVE INVESTMENT FOR 2013!

Oakwood Theme Park has announced ambitious plans for a massive new investment programme for 2013.

The Pembrokeshire attraction is to spend more than £4 million creating a major new family park area - featuring a series of new rides and experiences.
The attraction will also include a family friendly restaurant and café alongside outdoor play areas and themed retail experiences.

Park Director Dominic Jones said: "This represents by far the largest investment at the park for more than a decade and is a direct response to visitor feedback we have received.

"As well as creating a must-see new destination for families, the development also represents a major boost for the local economy and will create a number of new jobs.

"It will totally transform the visitor experience and provide a magical new series of attractions aimed specifically at the family market.

"As part of the investment we are also creating family-friendly facilities within the themed area as well as baby-changing facilities, high chairs and microwaves.

"This will be the largest new attraction of its kind in Wales and is the first phase in an ambitious and ongoing programme of investment over the coming years," he added.

The new development will feature seven new rides and attractions, including a spectacular water ride alongside a series of children's play areas and other themed attractions.

Full details of the new attraction will be released early next year. Work is set to start on site in the next few weeks with a planned opening prior to the 2013 summer holidays.

Set in 80 acres of spectacular countryside Oakwood is Wales’ biggest family adventure with more than 30 exhilarating rides and amazing experiences to discover.

A unique combination of attractions includes world-class roller, tower and sky coasters, spectacular family rides, children’s themed play areas and so much more.

Oooohhhh

Post details

Post subject: Re: Oakwood reveal massive new investment for 2013
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:39 pm 

OMG this is big news. Not as exciting as a new coaster but still exciting news.

Can I ask your source Pete? I'm not doubting you just curious.

Post details
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:45 pm 
Hey TJ !!

Was announced first on Oakwoods Facebook Page, closely followed by an email to everyone on their subscription list.

Finally they have posted it on their website...

http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/blog/oakwood-announces-4m-investment/

This is a great step for them. I bet this will be a retheme of one of the areas and based on a kids character.

I was also more impressed that this is a stage 1 investment, so more to come (finally !!!!) :clap

Post details

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm 

Do we know which area of the park this will be going?

There are obviously two areas that stand out as ideal locations, Both need urgent attention:
- KidzWorld
- Brer Rabbit’s Burrow area (The old Jake's Town)

Post details

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:53 pm 
Funny you should say that... I asked the same question on their Facebook page. Their response was more details will be revealed early next year.

I would imagine that it will be Kidzworld

Post details

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Note to Dominic; talk about the exciting attractions first, THEN start mentioning high chairs & microwaves!
I nearly didn't finish the paragraph...!
:hilarious

Post details

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:27 pm 

Did anyone else get sick of reading the word "family" in that announcement? A little over used I think, especially the "family friendly resaurant" - not entirely necessary really! :hilarious

Anyway, I'm happy. Regardless of what the rides are, this shows that the people who own the park do want to keep it going. I think most enthusiasts deep down had a horrible feeling about the future of Oakwood, but that can be banished now!

Post details

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:34 pm 
Do you think it will be a family based area then Martyn? :snigger

Seriously though, I have felt that Aspro have been working out what to do with the place ever since they got it. They have experience in Aqua parks and Aquariums, but Oakwood was their first fully fledged theme park. So this "sounds" like a good move.

Hopefully the investment will pay off and we will see visitor number increase and open up a whole new era for the park.

:great

Post details

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 pm 

I don't get why they are pushing the whole family thing SO much, it already is a proper family park, with only 1 true thrill ride in Speed.

I LOVE Oakwood, it has some great rides, and I've wanted to go back for a while now, so I'm going to keep my eye on this.

Post details

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:45 pm 

Family friendly normally means... unlicensed! :drunk :snigger

Place your bets for the next thomas land/nick land?

Still very good news of investment for the park. Once I build up enough stupidity :lol: for the 7 hour drive just to get there, it's a park on my hit list! :xmas

Post details

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:32 pm 
7 Hours !!! I think its only 5 from you.... :lol: It takes me 5 hours to get there and thats 30 miles further away from you... :wink:

In all seriousness though, there is a Travelodge in Pembroke Dock which is 15 mins (tops) away from the park and when you catch one of their £10 sales you can get a nice break around Oakwood for £10 a night. Oakwood is a very long drive, but I think its worth it. :great

Post details

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

Problem getting to Oakwood from here in the North West... is Wales! There's no roads in Wales, no decent ones anyway! We either have to take the mountain roads diagonally across all of Wales, or go all the way down to Cardiff & head west from there! And there's no such thing as 'a good run' on those mountain roads - you can guarantee getting stuck behind Sunday drivers, old bangers, lorries, tractors, mobs of bikers (100s of 'em!), caravans, sheep... :evil:
Oakwood's a great park, but unless you live in Wales or are having a holiday there, Oakwood is a pain in the arse to get to! Its even worse than Fantasy Island!
:lol:
And because you need to make the most when visiting, would recommend one of the club overnight events. :-)
Adam & I were to gay for tents & spiders, so we booked a nearby B&B at reasonable rate. :oops: :lol:

Post details

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:46 am 
I never go across the Welsh mountains, which is the way my Sat Nav always tries to take me. I always head down to Cardiff as its quicker and more economical to use the motorways. Its all duel carriageway (at least) until about the last 10 miles and even better since the new road was finished.

The key to getting to Oakwood (and to Fantasy Island) if doing a day trip is setting off at the right time. For example on my day trips to Oakwood, I set off at 4:30am, get to the park for 9:30am and therefore miss all the traffic. I leave at 4ish, therefore a full day at the park and back home by 9ish. Job done !! :great

If I can do Disneyland Paris Resort in a day, Oakwood is a piece of p*ss :rofl

Post details

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Admin

It is in the arse end of nowhere. For anyone without a car it's a bloody nightmare. That's why I haven't been since 2000.

Post details

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:35 pm 

It's a bit like Hull really. Been here on the fairground scene since 2007 and haven't made it to a single Hull Fair because Hull is in the middle of nowhere. I did go to Oakie once though, while I was on a music workshop in Wales.

Post details