MANUFACTURERS
LINKS
UK RIDES on

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: aerial photography of marvels scarborough
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:19 am 

hi,

I used to post on the old forum as nafe1, and I posted a few times about the lost underworld ride that used to be at Mr Marvels Amusement Park in Scarborough,

Well I was abit bored this afternoon so I decided to have a look at some aerial photos of scarborough as well as doing various google searches etc. I found two different aerial photos of Marvels, one from around 2002/3 shortly after the park shut (buildings intact but without rides), and one from when the park was in operation, most likely taken sometime in the ninetys,

I thought I'd post them up for you all to have a look at, I don't know how many of you visited the park when it was open, I used to visit it quite often, and even though in it's later years it looked to be suffering slightly, it was still a very special place, and I was gutted when I went up there last year to find it gone, I also found a newspaper article from 2003, which gives the impression that the majority of buildings were still present on the site after it closed, but were then demolished later after to a series of fires by kids, which is why the site looks as it does today. It's all very interesting, I wondered why there were no buildings left and assumed everything was demolished as soon as the park closed.

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/Blaze-at-old-fun-park.519180.jp

Post details
 Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:22 am 

Brilliant cheers for posting them. :D

I used to go Marvels everytime we went to Scarborough, lovely little place, now we always venture up there to see whats what last time it was just a spooky bit of land with theme park tat all over and mountain themeing toward the back however the cablecar is still there as ever and looks very spooky!

Here is a fantasic page with info -

http://www.ukrides.info/marvels.htm

'The Sands' is the big new development and whilst i was against this at the start i now know it can only do good for Scarborough and im delighted to see the the Chairlift will be up and running again. However i am sad about Atlantis going. I love the miniaure railway every time i go i ride it, very pleased to see it's staying.

I have some pictures i took in August 2006 of the whole area but have no scanner so will take pics with the digi cam and post them they wont be best quality though.

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:55 pm 

Thanks very much for posting them; I'm very fond of Marvels and Skegness. I went up there in 1996 and it was such good escapism, as I hadn't been on holiday for a few years. I picked up a couple of leaflets - 1996 and one which was in the caravan, which I think was 1995 - they're on the UK Rides page.

I particularly liked both chairlifts up to the park. My favourite ride, though, was the Pinfari Z40 roller coaster. It was the first time I'd been on one, and I thought it was incredible! I went to Flamingo Land that same holiday, rode Thunder Mountain and thought "This is the same layout!"

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:26 pm 

No probs :D

I found them on msn live maps search and google maps, quite interesting sites to look on, I've not been able to yet find an aerial photo of marvels as it is today, would be interesting to compare the two shots I found with a present one, what is interesting is on the newer image, the dinosaurs are missing from around the volcanoes, and there appears to be a large area in red which could be the cable cars all stacked up (I think these were red, can't remember!). I wonder if this stuff was sold when the park closed. In addition to this some of the buildings have been altered/knocked down on the newer image.

Thanks for the link marty, I think I've seen it before but was good to have another look, I read somewhere on the net that apperently work has now started on the sands development up on the Marvels site, and it has been fenced off and CCTV Installed, I don't know if this is true, I'll have to have a look next time I'm over that way.

I think the last time I went up there when it was open will have been around the same time as you Graeme, the last time I visited The Lost Underworld had just opened, so most likely 96/97, The coaster was great!, I think earlier on they also had a paratrooper, a ghostbusters themed ride and afew other rides adjecent to the coaster, these had gone when I last visted.

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:21 pm 

I will post some pics like i said shortly if i can find them. :wink:

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

well i'm glad you were bored this pm - thats a cool find! 8) :D

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:34 pm 

thanks marty :D
and thanks col :D
It's very interesting using these map photo sites, especially if you can look into the past and see what it was like or bring back some memories, I wonder if they have aerial photos for such as Lightwater Valley and Flamingo Land or other UK parks, might have to have a look, would be interesting to see how those parks have changed. 8)

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:22 pm 

Ok i am rooting through Photo albums and have so far not found my pics of Marvels from 2006 however i will hopefully soon. I have found some photos though. No scanner so taken with Camera. lol

North Bay Railway was pretty busy the whole week.

Atlantis

Bayside Fun Park at Brid and there mouse (very short but very fun!)

And this one i havnt a clue when it is from, maybe around 2000?? Anyway i can not wait untill there up and running again!! :D All's that there now is the stanchions with no cables or cars.

Il find the rest, i will!!

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:16 am 
Site Admin

The cables & cars were still there last time I saw Marvel's about 3 yrs ago... :(

They recently started demolishing Atlantis... I never went there though... the slides looked great but was always waaaay too cold when I was in Scarb!

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:25 am 

Nice pics marty, let me know if you find the other ones :D

Yeah the one with the cars on the rails must be from around 2000 or previous, shortly before it closed in 2002, I think some of the rides were sold off or scrapped a year or so before the park closed.

Heres some more articles and a pic I posted on the old Forum, just incase no-one saw it back then, One of the articles below shows a mural of Sir Jimmy Saville up on the Marvels site!

lol yeah I Saw Atlantis open a fair few times, never went in either, was always on my way up to Marvels instead! Apperently the fair they had on the Atlantis site this summer is to be replaced with a Ice-Rink and market stalls for the winter!

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/northbaynews/A-designer-habitat-for-newt.3169697.jp

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/Horror-as-dog-impaled-on.3106877.jp

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/How39s-about-Rob39smural-of-Sir.3034037.jp

Image[/img]

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:25 am 

I never went in Atlantis either lol it looked great though. Shame to see it go, i am so happy the Cableway is being saved, i can't wait to go on it again.

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

bollox to the cableway... its the water chute down below Marvel's thats important!! :lol:

Although - the good news is - my agents inform me its been operating this year!! :o 8) 8) 8) :D

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:26 pm 

Brilliant!! It does look awesome that thing, the whole North Bay area however nice it is during the day gives me the creeps at night lol. In august 2006 the Water Chute was full on every drop it did. :D

For the few hours i sat watching it. :oops:

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:17 am 

It's good that they are still interested in developing and also keeping some of the old features on the North Bay such as the Water Chute and chairlift, Just a shame Marvels went, I wonder how many people didn't know it was there due to it been at the top.

It will be interesting watching Scarborough over the next few years, Especially with the new Sands Development. :D

Post details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:51 pm 

what is atlantis, if its that sea world place in the background of the skyride pic, I went to it last year in September and if its that water park, that too is still there, but let me know what you are on about :wink:

Post details